PROCEED – Program for a Comprehensive Elementary Education
- ito ay sampung taong programa para sa komprehensibong edukasyong elementarya.
- Ito’y iminumungkahi
ni Dr. Minda C. Sutaria direktor ng Kawanihan ng Edukasyong Elementarya.
Siyam na Komponent ng PROCEED
1. Misyon at Pagpapahalaga (
and Values) Mission
2. Paglinang ng Kurikulum ( Curriculum Development)
3. Pagpapaunlad at Kagalingang Pangguro (Teacher Development and Welfare)
4. Pagpapabuti ng mga Kagamitan (Facilities Development)
5. Paghahanda ng mga Kagamitang Pampagtuturo (Instructional Materials Development)
6. Pamamahala (Management)
7. Pananalapi (Financing)
8. Edukasyong Pangkalusugan (School Based Health Education)
9. Edukasyon Bago Mag-elementarya (Pre-Elementary Education)
NESC – The New Elementary School Curriculum (MEC Order N. 6 s.1982)
- ito ay nabuo bilang bahagi sa pag-implementa ng PRODED.
- It was introduced grade by grade
- It is an outcome-oriented and not subject-oriented curriculum with its main focus being on the learning process, and not on the subjects.
- The 3R’s is the core learning (reading, writing, arithmetic)
Grade 1 to 4 – primary
- had only four subjects
Areas: English, Mathematics, Filipino, Civics & Culture
Civics & Culture – incorporates History, Geography, Society, Politics &
Grade 5 to 6 - intermediate
- had six subjects
- believe that a child who masters the basic subjects will find no difficulty in learning the other subjects in the higher grades.
The NESC focus on 4H
1. Head (Ulo) o intelektwal
2. Heart (Puso) o pagpapahalaga (values)
3. Hands (Kamay) o batayang kasanayan sa paggawa
4. Health (Kalusugan) o kagalingang pisikal at mental
Elementary Level Education – is the very foundation for the secondary and tertiary level and it is the only education which the masses generally could afford.
The New Elementary School Curriculum
Learning Areas Daily Time Allotment
Grade 1 2 3 4 5 6
Character Building Activity 20-30 20-30 20 20 20 20
Pilipino 60 60 60 60 60 60
English 60 60 60 60 60 60
Mathematics 40 40 40 40 40 40
Civics and Culture 40 40 - - - -
History/Geography/Civics - - - 40 40 40
Science and Health - - 40 40 40 40
Arts & Physical Education - - 40 40 40 40
Home Econ. & Livelihood Educ. - - - 40 40 40
- fewer learning areas; emphasis on mastery learning
- more time allotted to the development of the basic skills specifically the 3R’s especially in the lower grades.
- greater emphasis on the development of intellectual skills which are as important as work skills.
- focus on the development of a sense of humanity and nationhood in the learning areas.
- health values development infused into the whole curriculum, not only in the period for character-building activities and science and health.
- The systematic development of competencies and values for social living.
Strengths of the NESC
The NESC curriculum is of great help to the Filipino children especially in molding them as human persons, as a good citizens and productive agents for economic, social and cultural development. The curriculum provides every Filipino child the basic preparation to become an enlightened, disciplined, nationalistic, self reliant, God-loving, creative, versatile and productive.
The NESC offers too many subjects. This will result in knowing more of the subjects and less of the content. With this number of subjects, the students will get bored and cannot concentrate well and even neglect their assignments.
TEEP – The Third Elementary Education Project
- start of implementation 1999
- it is the flagship project of the DECS in response to the Social Reform Agenda (SRA) initiatives of the government.
- The mandates of elementary schools to become effective instruments in improving the learning achievement and in enhancing the attainment of the following Philippine national goals for Filipino children.
- it utilizes several interventions that are designed to provide support system and resources to marginalized schools in poor provinces. The primary interventions of TEEP are:
a. School building program (SBP) designed to address the acute need of schools for new classrooms of rehabilitation and repair of old school buildings;
b. In-service training (INSET) to upgrade the teaching competencies of teachers and develop the managerial skills of school heads and school system administrators;
c. Provision of textbooks and instructional material (MTEX) to increase the pupil-textbook ratio and assist the teachers in effective teaching;
d. Student assessment (SA) to develop the school’s capacity in determining pupil learning progress and in setting classroom instruction against such progress;
e. Division education development planning (DEDP) to lay down the foundation for the direction of educational development and resource allocation in the future.
f. Information system design, installation and operation for monitoring evaluation and decision-making on the operation of the school system; and
g. Information, education, communication and advocacy program to enhance community participation for school-based management.
However there are many unique factors and school conditions that are not included nor will be addressed by the primary TEEP interventions. Therefore TEEP has designed intervention that will augment, enhance and support the primary interventions. This is the School Improvement and Innovation Facility or SIIF component of TEEP.
SIIF – School Improvement and Innovation Facility
- it is a component of TEEP
SIIF seeks to:
a. Complement standardized system-wide interventions with school-specific interventions;
b. Promote creativity and innovation in all schools particularly those in the most disadvantage areas;
c. Encouraged self-initiated and self implemented methods of instruction;
d. Provide an opportunity for all children to learn and achieve their full potentials in school and;
e. Serve as a tool for the social targeting of the most “at risk” schools within the TEEP provinces.
Source: Bauzon, Prisciliano. Foundations of Curriculum Development and
: National Book Store Inc. 2001. Manila
Belvez, Paz. Ang Sining at Agham ng Pagtuturo.
: Rex Book Store Manila